Indian Spiced Carrot Soup with Ginger
This exotically spiced soup has an incredibly velvety texture
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1-1/2 tablespoons peanut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder (preferably Madras)
- 1/2 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger ( 2 g)
- 1 cup chopped onions (150 g)
- 2 cups carrots, peeled, thinly sliced into rounds (240 g)
- 3/4 teaspoon finely grated lime peel
- 3 cups (or more) low-salt chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Plain yogurt (for garnish)
1) Grind coriander and mustard seeds in spice mill to fine powder
2) Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add ground seeds and curry powder; stir 1 minute. Add ginger; stir 1 minute. Add next 3 ingredients
3) Sprinkle with salt and pepper; sauté until onions begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
4) Add 2-1/2 cups broth; bring to boil.
5) Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered until carrots are tender, about 30 minutes (OR cook in pressure cooker, full pressure, 10 min)
6) Cool slightly. Working in batches, puree in blender until smooth.
7) Return soup to pot. Add more broth by 1/4 cupfuls if too thick. Stir in lime juice; season with salt and pepper.
Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with yogurt and serve.
Preparation Time: 1:25 hrs
Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Rewarm before serving.
Health Benefit of Ingredients
Carrot-In-depth nutrient profile
Coriander seeds nutrition facts
The Health Benefits of Coriander Seeds
Curry Powder Health Benefits
Ginger – The World’s Healthiest Foods
Mustard seeds nutrition facts
Onions – The World’s Healthiest Foods
Low Calorie Indian Recipe