1. Pumpkin Congee 南瓜粥
- 10 g Ginger slices
- 1/3 cups Long grain rice (67 g)
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- 300 g Pumpkin slices
- 3 cups Water
- 1 cup Chicken broth
1) Soak rice for 30 min or more after washing
2) Drain and put rice into a plastic bag. Put the plastic bag in freezer overnight
3) Remove plastic bag from freezer
4) Add rice, ginger slices, pumpkin slices and 3 cups of water in a pressure cooker. Cook at high pressure for 5 min.
5) After cooling down, add chicken broth and salt. Cook and stir for 10 min until it is mushy.
Pumpkin congee 南瓜粥
2) Pumpkin Porridge, just right for Goldilocks
Serving size: 6-8
- 1½ – 2 lb pumpkin, seeded and peeled (681-908 g)
- ¾ Cup sweet rice or short grain rice (158 g)
- 4-5 Cups water
- 3-4 Tbsp white sugar
- 3-4 Tbsp light brown sugar
- salt to taste
- chopped walnuts or pine nuts for garnish, optional
- Rinse the rice a few times and soak in a big bowl for at least 1 hour (overnight is even better).
- Slice the pumpkin and put them in pressure cooker with 4 cup of water. Cook at high pressure for 5 min. Puree them with hand blender or in a food processor (Do not discard the broth).
- When the rice is fully soaked and hydrated, drain them. Put rice in a blender or food processor with a little bit of water and puree them until they get finely granulated.
- Combine the rice puree, pumpkin puree with its broth in a big pot over medium heat. Keep stirring so the rice won’t stick to the bottom of the pot, cook for about 5 minutes. Add more broth (water) if the porridge feels too thick. Add sugars and salt to taste, cook for 5-7 more minutes stirring often until the rice granules feels soft.
- Taste the porridge and adjust sweetness according to your taste. Do not overcook the porridge.
- Garnish with some chopped nuts and serve warm.
3) How To Make: Pumpkin Porridge (호박죽)
– Short-grain brown or white rice 300 g (white rice is preferred)
– Pumpkin squash about 3.82 lbs (1,732 g)
– Salt 1tsp
– Sugar 3 tbsp / Sweetener 3 packets
– Water (water:squash ratio about 2:1)
- Wash rice and let soak in cold water
- Rinse squash several times with water. Fill with water at ratio – water:squash about 2:1
- Cook on high heat, covered, until boil to soften the squash.
- Reduce heat and simmer of 1~1.5 hours or until squash soften
- When soften, turn off heat. Blend/scoop squash with blender (caution: still super hot)
- Add salt and sugar and stir
- Drain rice and blend it in a blender. Dump rice into pot
- Turn heat back and stir frequently until boiling (stirring to avoid rick sticking on the bottom of the pot). After boiling reduce heat to simmer. Stir every 5 min for 30 min (or until rice is cooked)
How To Make: Pumpkin Porridge (호박죽)
4) Pumpkin Congee
Serves 2 or 3
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ lb ground pork 碎豬肉 (227 g)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 fresh shiitake mushroom caps 鮮香菇, finely diced
- 1 cup finely diced pumpkin (½-inch cubes) (150 g)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp dark soy sauce 老抽
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 cup long-grain rice, rinsed and drained (200 g)
- 4 to 5 cups water, less water for thicker consistency
- Ground white pepper, to taste
- 2 green onions, finely chopped, for garnish
- Add the oil to the rice cooker, cover, and set to Cook. When the base of the cooker pot gets warm, add the pork, garlic, mushrooms, pumpkin, soy sauce, salt, and pepper. Fry for about 5 to 8 minutes until fragrant, covering the rice cooker occasionally in the process of frying.
- When fragrant, dish out half of the pork mixture and set aside in a bowl.
- Add the rinsed rice to the remaining pork mixture; stir to mix well.
- Slowly add the water, cover the rice cooker, and allow the mixture to come to a boil. When you hear the rice cooker making noises and see some over-bubbling of fluid at the lid, lift up the rice cooker cover. Add the reserved pork mixture, stir gently, and continue to simmer for 30 to 45 minutes with the cover tilted slightly to vent the steam pressure. Stir occasionally, until the rice turns into a soft pulp. During this process you can adjust the amount of water, depending on whether you like soupy or thick rice congee.
- Season with pepper and garnish with green onions before serving.